Cheap/free CNC Machine Access...

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 8 17:04:40 UTC 2006

http://www.tep.org.uk/PDF/TEP_Pewter_Bulletin_No2.pdf

> > Pay attention to the image in the upper left
> corner of
> > page 4. This is almost exactly the sort of thing
> that
> > would make for a great case badge, a 1" x 1" (or
> if
> > you prefer 25mm x 25mm) square with a raised image
> of
> > Tux...
> >
> > The problem here being that I need a mold, and I
> am
> > not a big carver. So, I am looking for access to a
> > very cheap, or if possible free CNC (Computer
> > Numerical Control) machine, where I figure my way
> > through putting together a file as to what is to
> be
> > cut and the machine cuts the mold, and then I take
> > things from there.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas? Suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Colin McGregor
>
> Colin,
>
>    I am a mechanical designer.  I send things out to
> shops all the time.  Machine shops and sheet metal
> shops have all gone over to CNC.  Virtual mistakes
> are way cheaper than real ones. Any machine shops
> should be able to do something for you.
>
>    Even the desktop CNC machines cost $10K to $20K
> each, so you should not anticipate a price break.
> Most machine shops want DXF files, which you can
> generate using QCAD on Linux.

Well, I now have QCAD on my main home Linux box, now
to work my way through learning that...

>    Another thing you can try is NOVA Product
> Development Services at http://www.novaproduct.com.
> They do rapid prototyping using Stereo Laser
> Lithography.  Again, they will not be dirt cheap.

Pity, I had hopes that someone here might have access
to such a machine and volunteer, or someone might know
something I had not turned up in my research...

>    There are plastic casting kits out there.  You
> can always try an internet search.
>
>    Unless you have artwork prepared, there is no way
> around artistic talent.

Well, I don't claim to be very artistic, but figuring
my way through creating a CAD file that has a Tux
image from say:

http://www.isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/

reduced down to say 21 mm ... that I think I can do...
basically tell the machine if it is black mill it out
to a depth of x mm...

Colin McGregor