Cheap/free CNC Machine Access...

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 8 01:22:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:49:16 -0500 (EST)
Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I am looking for cheap or ideally free access to a CNC
> (Computer Numerical Control) cutting machine for doing
> metal Linux case badges.
>
> I am a big fan of tagging my home machines showing
> that they are running Linux, to the point were a few
> years ago I ordered 20  case badges from these folks:
> http://www.scotgold.com/ (I then sold off the badges I
> didn't need at a GTALug meeting). Since then I have
> been on the look out for interesting case badges.
> There used to be an Australian firm "Silicon Breeze"
> that offered Linux related cast metal case badges, but
> they do not appear to be in business any more. So,
> when ran across the following I was interested:
>
> http://www.tep.org.uk/PDF/TEP_Pewter_Bulletin_No2.pdf
>
> Pay attention to the image in the upper left corner of
> page 4. This is almost exactly the sort of thing that
> would make for a great case badge, a 1" x 1" (or if
> you prefer 25mm x 25mm) square with a raised image of
> Tux...
>
> The problem here being that I need a mold, and I am
> not a big carver. So, I am looking for access to a
> very cheap, or if possible free CNC (Computer
> Numerical Control) machine, where I figure my way
> through putting together a file as to what is to be
> cut and the machine cuts the mold, and then I take
> things from there.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? Suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Colin McGregor

Colin,

   I am a mechanical designer.  I send things out to shops all the time.  Machine shops and sheet metal shops have all gone over to CNC.  Virtual mistakes are way cheaper than real ones. Any machine shops should be able to do something for you.

   Even the desktop CNC machines cost $10K to $20K each, so you should not anticipate a price break.  Most machine shops want DXF files, which you can generate using QCAD on Linux.

   Another thing you can try is NOVA Product Development Services at http://www.novaproduct.com.  They do rapid prototyping using Stereo Laser Lithography.  Again, they will not be dirt cheap.

   There are plastic casting kits out there.  You can always try an internet search.

   Unless you have artwork prepared, there is no way around artistic talent.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org