what to delete in /usr

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 7 15:38:45 UTC 2006

On 2/7/06, Chris Aitken <caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:39:18AM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> >

> >>That's a handy command -- thanks. I found vmware (which I'm not using).
> >>I deleted all related files, as root,  with rm -rf /usr/lib/vmware/*
> >>

> >Amazingly vmware has an uninstall script that actually cleans up
> >everything properly.
> >
> I assume it's on the CD somewhere...
>
> > Kernel modules, init scripts, etc.  You just left
> >a mess doing it manually.
>
> Oops. I tried rpm -e vmware and rpm -e VMware and it didn't take so I
> did it manually.

That was definitely a mistake.

Did you consider looking for package names on the off-chance that it
might have some prefix/suffix?

Obviously not...

> >Might want to go do it properly instead.

Far too late, and he clearly doesn't care about trying to do it
properly; he evidently just wants to have fun finding stuff he hopes
he can delete without leading to a Blue Screen of Death.

> OK, I'll browse the VMware CD for an uninstall script and directions.

Way too late.

You have to look for instructions *BEFORE* you go off and purge
things, and possibly pay some attention to the instructions you *do*
get.

If you're just going to blunder off and destroy the integrity of your
system because you think you need to "do something," then it is a
waste of time for anyone to try to do anything to help.

In system administration, one of the rules is "Do No Harm."  If you
don't know what you're doing, STOP, because you're probably going to
break something.  On a production system, someone else would
presumably have to clean up, whilst you clean out your desk (because
you're not going to be working there anymore).  If it's your own home
system, you can't get fired, but we can't help, either.  If you won't
be helped, we can't try to help...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)