what to delete in /usr

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.frey-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 7 16:22:08 UTC 2006

Christopher Browne wrote:

> Way too late.
>
> You have to look for instructions *BEFORE* you go off and purge
> things, and possibly pay some attention to the instructions you *do*
> get.
>
> If you're just going to blunder off and destroy the integrity of your
> system because you think you need to "do something," then it is a
> waste of time for anyone to try to do anything to help.
>
> In system administration, one of the rules is "Do No Harm."  If you
> don't know what you're doing, STOP, because you're probably going to
> break something.  On a production system, someone else would
> presumably have to clean up, whilst you clean out your desk (because
> you're not going to be working there anymore).  If it's your own home
> system, you can't get fired, but we can't help, either.  If you won't
> be helped, we can't try to help...

I think he's getting conflicting instructions from this mailing list. For
experienced users there are also a lot of things that we leave out. For example
it is advisable to use uninstall scripts to remove software packages.

Anyhow if the vmware uninstall script doesn't work, he could reinstall vmware
and then use the uninstall script.

But the real problem here is performance issues, something that a full /usr
partition isn't going to impinge upon.

I think the real source of the problem here is 256M of RAM and OpenOffice.

I run NeoOffice (based on OO) on Mac OS X and a PB G4 w/512M of RAM and, yeah,
it's sluggish. Can't wait to get 2G on this machine.

Ivan