gutting konqueror's spell checking

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 26 22:02:03 UTC 2006

Editing my wiki using konqueror obliterates the performance of my
machine.  I launch konqueror and browse around, and as soon as I edit
the smallest page everything grinds to a halt.  Moving my mouse around
makes me miss Windows 3.1

(this probably is seen best under relatively strenuous conditions)

I figure this has something to do with the spell checking.  I can't
get rid of aspell entirely, so I wonder if I could feed it a tiny
dictionary and make it use that by default.  Is this doable?

Where would I begin to look into something like this?

I found the spell checker reference in both konqueror and in the kde
control panel - but of course it's not useful for crazy things like
adding a new dictionary or turning spell checking off.

I see some interesting directories here:
/usr/share/aspell
/usr/lib/aspell

I google around and I see all kinds of distribution-specific threads..
but nothing that seems to apply to my circumstance.

Ideas?