report cards read-only on floppy

Chris Aitken caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 3 23:06:21 UTC 2006

Jason.Shein-V7Ve2fXh0sTQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org wrote:

>I hate to ask the obvious, but have you attempted inserting a new blank
>floppy, and seeing if the
>problem persists?

I tried to format (just usingf the GUI 'Floppy Formatter') - sure enough
I got an error:

Problem reading cylinder 2, expected 18432, read 4096

So, I inserted another floppy, it formatted successfully, I copied files
onto it, and opend a file (*not* read-only) in OpenOffice!

>The reason I am asking, is that floppy drives are mechanical devices that
>can easily fail due to
>dust and debris.

Doesn't look like mechanical failure but your troubleshooting idea
uncovered the real problem: a damaged floppy disk.

>I have seen in the past where the microswitch that checks
>if the write protect tab
>had stuck / failed and all disks seems to be read only.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Sorry I was a bit thick.

Chris

<snip>