moving to a larger hard drive...

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 3 19:51:35 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 12:11:15AM -0500, Aaron Vegh wrote:
> Hi TLUGers,
> I've got a mythtv system that had a 30GB drive. Predictably, I have
> now purchased a 320GB drive to replace it. Now, given the hassle
> involved in getting the system working (and it's just right!), you can
> imagine I'd much rather just duplicate the drive onto the larger one.
> However, the dd command proved less than useful! It created a
> duplicate but seemed to have made my drive 30GB in size. Plus, the
> resulting drive wouldn't boot the computer (a problem with Grub,
> perhaps? It stalls at a flashing cursor on boot, suggesting it doesn't
> see a boot drive).
>
> Further complicating factors include the fact that the old drive is
> IDE, the new drive is SATA2. We're moving from /dev/hda to /dev/sda.
>
> I've read online that dd will simply replicate the partition, but
> there must be a way to move files across such that it'll boot?
>
> Any advice you can give would be tremendously helpful.

Solution 1:
    Leave it alone.

Solution 2:
    Assuming that hda1 and sda1 are the root partitions.  Boot from some
    live CD or USB key.

    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/new
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/old
    cd /mnt/old
    cp -ax . /mnt/new
    chroot /mnt/new
    lilo	(or grub-install /dev/sda)

    You may need to create /dev/... in /mnt/new.  Rinse and repeat.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell