moving to a larger hard drive...

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 6 00:23:17 UTC 2006

Aaron Vegh wrote:
> I've been searching the archives of TLUG correspondence, and found a
> similar topic being discussed. Lennart (who else?) suggested:
>
> ------------snip
> Partition, make filesystems, mount new partition, then cp -ax
> /oldpartition /newpartition
>
> That is the PROPER way to do it, and probably the fastest too since it
> only copies the data.
>
> dd is great for making clones of a disk to another identical disk.
>
> You will have to reinstall the MBR/boot loader on the new disk of
> course.
> -------------snip

The one step missing from the above is to update your /etc/fstab file. This
will be needed since you will be switching from /dev/hda to /dev/sda. You also
need to keep that in mind when you reinstall your boot loader.

My machine had a 40G drive and I added a 250G drive. I used 'cp -a' when I was
shuffling the contents of about three partitions back and forth between the
two drives as I was setting and changing partition sizes. I did this several
times while I worked out how I wanted to lay out the partitions. The only
thing I didn't need to do was re-install the boot loader since I kept the 40G
as the main boot drive.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.interlog.com/~kcozens/ |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172        |"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus: