looking for shared web hosting

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 2 20:34:20 UTC 2006

Michael Hong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for shared web hosting for ~ $5 - $15 / month.  I don't have
> any content really :) but I thought it's about time I got my own domain.
> Also, I'd like to play around with the usual LAMP stuff...
>
> Has anyone anything good or bad to say about any of the following
> services?
>
> http://www.hostgator.com/
> http://www.inmotionhosting.com/
> http://www.bluehost.com/
> http://www.dreamhost.com/
> http://www.spry.com/
>
> http://www.vpslink.com/
> - this one looks interesting...  a cheap linux vps
>
> Is it best to buy a domain from a different place rather than getting
> the domain plus hosting service from the same company?

Speaking from experience, whatever you do, stay away from spry and
vpslink (which is spry). Their tech support is awful and machines are slow.

Hostgator just setup a Toronto office/datacenter so they may be a good
bet. 24 hour support too. Lots of people on this list have space on
their servers if you ask nicely too it seems :)