moving to a larger hard drive...

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 2 17:22:58 UTC 2006

Aaron Vegh wrote:
> I'm starting to agree too. Every command I've tried has failed (dd,
> cp, tar) for a variety of reasons. There just doesn't seem to be an
> easy way of doing this, which is... ahem... RETARDED.
In my experience, there are so many binary things on disk that are
normally designed to be hidden from users (partition tables, boot
sectors, superblocks, etc) that direct manipulation (as opposed to using
tools like fdisk or mkfs) just isn't worth the pain.

> So, despite the hours and hours I put into the first mythtv install,
> I'll do 'er again. :-P
I can't speak for your experience, but for me the second install goes a
WHOLE lot faster once I've figured out how to do the first one. You know
what packages you need and where to find them. And most importantly, you
don't need to recreate your config files or directory layout -- they can
be brought over intact from the original disk.

Two other possible side benefits:

1) You get to install a newer version of the distribution (if it's been
upgraded since you made the original system)

2) You have the option of trying things like LVM (I just did it for the
first time and found setup much easier than I expected) which may come
in handy if you find the need to expand disk space again in the future

Good luck!

- Evan