moving to a larger hard drive...

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 3 08:26:52 UTC 2006

About a year ago, I cloned a driver with dd, but they were identical,
and I didn't have to do anything, I just swapped them physically, and
everything was exactly the same, it was pretty cool.  The reason
you're having problems is likely related to the IDE to SATA switch.
To use dd or even cp successfully, you need to edit your grub.conf,
and fstab, at the bare minimum.  There may be more stuff that I'm
unaware of as well, but you couldn't possibly expect dd to work in
your case without changing your grub.conf and fstab, and then possibly
chrooting in and running grub-setup (see the Gentoo handbook ;)

Simon