For $150, Third-World Laptop Stirs a Big Debate

Daniel Armstrong dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 1 16:37:43 UTC 2006

On 12/1/06, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Ok, let's clear away the @#$% and assume the cheap
> laptops are coming, millions of them, maybe 10s of
> millions of them. Love them, hate them, or your
> indifferent to them, let's assume they are coming. So,
> let's ask the next question, how do we on this mailing
> list make money off them?
>
> Seriously, I already have a ball rolling on this
> score, through what has become one of my favourite
> venues. Millions of Linux laptops being built, that is
> news, the sort of news magazine articles can be
> written around :-) .
>
> Now, I am attempting to think of other ways money
> could be made off those laptops, creating texts (here
> is where being multi-lingual (which I am not) would be
> a big advantage), what else?

Hi Colin... As I posted earlier, there is still going to be a
requirement for some kind of traditional server to provide local
storage for all these flash-based OLPCs. Maybe float some proposal to
your gang down on Eastern Ave to recycle some machines that would
compliment the OLPC efforts?

--
Daniel Wayne Armstrong
:: build_it_yourself biology      http://biohackery.com ::