For $150, Third-World Laptop Stirs a Big Debate

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 1 19:25:19 UTC 2006

--- Daniel Armstrong <dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 12/1/06, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > Ok, let's clear away the @#$% and assume the cheap
> > laptops are coming, millions of them, maybe 10s of
> > millions of them. Love them, hate them, or your
> > indifferent to them, let's assume they are coming.
> So,
> > let's ask the next question, how do we on this
> mailing
> > list make money off them?
> >
> > Seriously, I already have a ball rolling on this
> > score, through what has become one of my favourite
> > venues. Millions of Linux laptops being built,
> that is
> > news, the sort of news magazine articles can be
> > written around :-) .
> >
> > Now, I am attempting to think of other ways money
> > could be made off those laptops, creating texts
> (here
> > is where being multi-lingual (which I am not)
> would be
> > a big advantage), what else?
>
> Hi Colin... As I posted earlier, there is still
> going to be a
> requirement for some kind of traditional server to
> provide local
> storage for all these flash-based OLPCs. Maybe float
> some proposal to
> your gang down on Eastern Ave to recycle some
> machines that would
> compliment the OLPC efforts?

At the moment most stuff is effectively shut down on
Eastern Ave. (well, sort of, there is a TV show being
shot in/around the building, so lots of people, just
little to do with computers). As is, I expect the real
demand for the OLPC servers will be to have massive
gobs of hard disk space something the boxes we get in
normally don't have. As well, I expect the OLPC
nations will want to standardize on one box design of
the sort of, when the technicial arrives at a site
he/she will know they are facing a box that has say:

- Brand X model Y CPU
- 500 GB hard disk
etc.
etc.

All the boxes the same...

In other words I don't think the sort of used boxes we
are used to dealling with will go over will in the
OLPC enviroment...

Colin.