New ubuntu install freezes on boot on IBM T21 laptop

Alex Maynard amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 24 16:18:20 UTC 2006

> There was a recent upgrade from Ubuntu that broke the Xorg
> server.  Symptom is that you get "(EE) No devices detected" as
> the diagnostic when it abandons running X.  There was another
> upgrade soon afterward that fixed things, so if that's what
> happened to you, log into the console mode and run:
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

Thank you.  I booted in recovery mode (which worked), updated the system
using the first two commands (it updated a lot files, & didn't seem to
have any trouble), but then the screen went blank after the last command
and again when I rebooted in standard mode.  Too bad, I was hoping this
would fix it.

I have recently moved. Please find my new
contact information below:

Alex Maynard
Associate Professor
Department of Economics
School of Business and Economics
Wilfrid Laurier University
75 University Avenue West
Waterloo, ON N2L 3C5
tel: 519-884-0710 ext. 3916
e-mail: amaynard-asLh6aZUA04 at public.gmane.org
office: SBE3253 (in the Schlegel Centre)
web (department page): http://www.wlu.ca/sbe/amaynard
web (personal page): http://www.amaynard.ca