New ubuntu install freezes on boot on IBM T21 laptop

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 24 06:21:00 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 07:51:54AM -0400, David J Patrick wrote:
> On 8/21/06, Alex Maynard <amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> >Hi All:
> >
> >Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a problem I've been having
> >with IBM T21 laptop?
>
> ubuntu (5.04 - 6.06.1) runs great on my T20.
> djp

[I didn't see Alex' original post so this comment may be
irrelevant.]

There was a recent upgrade from Ubuntu that broke the Xorg
server.  Symptom is that you get "(EE) No devices detected" as
the diagnostic when it abandons running X.  There was another
upgrade soon afterward that fixed things, so if that's what
happened to you, log into the console mode and run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart