CDs play in W98 but not FC2

Charles philip Chan cpchan-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 16 01:49:44 UTC 2006

On 15 Aug 2006, caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org wrote:

> Just by popping the music CD in the drive, a music player (has no name
> or menu that I can choose "About..." from) automatically comes up
> appearing to play the CD but no sound comes out.

OK, I gather that you are using GNOME. What errors do you get if you
issue:

    gnome-cd --unique --play --device <your_device>

where your_device is your CDROM device from an Xterm?

> Is that the same as "ripping"? If it is it's fine - I'd just like to
> play CDs directly on occaision.

Yes and no- Digital extraction rips and plays the CD on the
fly. Unforunately I don't think the GNOME CD player is capable of that
(last time I checked). The players for Linux that I know for sure that are
capable of Digital extraction are KSCD (Part of KDE) and XMMS.

Charles

--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?
That's a city in Bosnia.  Right?
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of commands.)