CDs play in W98 but not FC2

Chris Aitken caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 16 02:42:52 UTC 2006

Charles philip Chan wrote:

<snip>

>OK, I gather that you are using GNOME. What errors do you get if you
>issue:
>
>    gnome-cd --unique --play --device <your_device>
>
>where your_device is your CDROM device from an Xterm?

[chris at p733 chris]$ gnome-cd --unique --play --device /dev/cdrom
** Message: Error reading CD header

** (gnome-cd:5326): WARNING **: : (linux_cdrom_play): Drive still not ready
** Message: Error reading CD header

...then CDPlayer opened with the message that the drive was open (though
it was not). When Iexited CD player my  prompt came back...

[chris at p733 chris]$

>>Is that the same as "ripping"? If it is it's fine - I'd just like to
>>play CDs directly on occaision.
>>

>Yes and no- Digital extraction rips and plays the CD on the
>fly. Unforunately I don't think the GNOME CD player is capable of that
>(last time I checked). The players for Linux that I know for sure that are
>capable of Digital extraction are KSCD (Part of KDE) and XMMS.

I see.

Chris