OT: Alternate Cellular

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 10 06:28:34 UTC 2006

Vlad wrote:

> Rogers' phone contracts will include the SIM card and its use,
> as that's what the account is tied to. Doesn't matter if you swap the
> phone or not, for that SIM card to do anything, the account needs to
> be live and tied to it.

Exactly.

During one trip to Japan, I rented a cellphone (the Japanese network is
neither GSM nor CDMA). The rental phone used my Rogers SIM card without
hassle and I was able to accept calls on my Rogers Toronto number using
the rental phone and have my airtime and roaming billed to the Rogers
account.

As Vlad said, Rogers doesn't care about the phone, your contract is
associated to the SIM card and whatever it's plugged into. The only link
between the contract and the phone is that you probably needed to take
out a contract in order to get a cheap(er) price on the phone. If you
want a new phone (or your old one breaks and is out of warranty) you can:

1) Get a new Rogers phone in return for extending your contract

2) Pay Rogers more in return for getting a new phone without an extended
contract.

3) Pay a little more for an unlocked phone. When your Rogers contract
runs out you can just shop for the cheapest GSM service (Rogers or Fido)
and keep using your new phone.

- Evan