OT: Alternate Cellular

Vlad shiwan-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 10 02:14:27 UTC 2006

        Rogers' phone contracts will include the SIM card and its use,
as that's what the account is tied to. Doesn't matter if you swap the
phone or not, for that SIM card to do anything, the account needs to
be live and tied to it.

        This is different from CDMA phones, which have a unique ID
embedded into them, that's tied to the account.

        I'm all for some of the phones available at
http://www.dynamism.com/ - I remember when the NEC phone was around
US$600 a couple of months ago...

        Cheers,

        -- Vlad

On 8/9/06, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> At places like Canada Computers, they're offering fairly sophisticated
> late-breaking phones at what *appear* to be not overly lordly prices
> that claim to be "unlocked."
>
> In principle, it would seem plausible to move a SIM card from elderly
> phone into a nice new Razr or such.
>
> Is this a reasonable way to go about doing a cell upgrade?  That would
> appear to be a reasonable way to untie from Rogers' phone contracts,
> assuming that the phone continues to work, and assuming most of the
> phone's functionality would work...  Or is that an unreasonable sort
> of expectation?
> --
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/linux.html
> Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
> is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
> `||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.

end