OT: Alternate Cellular

Andrew Hammond ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 10 13:18:15 UTC 2006

Chris isn't an un-educated techno-moron. He knows that by moving the SIM
card to a new phone his phone number and contract will follow it. That
is obvious from the second paragraph of his original post. He knows that
he needs an account with the guys who own the towers on the other end.

My understanding of his question is that he wants to know if he can buy
a 3rd party phone from an inexpensive source to avoid the whole contract
extension / lock-in business that Rogers (and other phone companies) get
up to when you try to replace your phone through them: "pay this silly
price to upgrade your phone... or... extend your contract and we'll give
you a huge rebate". (Where the rebated price is probably on a par with
what you pay $DISCOUNT_HARDWARE_STORE for the unlocked phone anyway.)

Drew