Open Source song - "Write Code With You"

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 3 14:03:12 UTC 2006

Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> writes:
> I'd say leave it up and come what may. Just like with code, if you haven't

That's a pretty cavalier attitude considering you aren't the one that would be
dragged into court.

Although, if it was me, I'd leave it up, too.  "It's easier to ask forgiveness
than permission" ;)

Besides, if jibjab can get away with their "This Land" spoof and all the
exposure it received:

        http://www.jibjab.com/JokeBox/JokeBox_JJOrig.aspx?movieid=65

I don't think this one will raise an eyebrow. IANAL...

> Apparently you've pulled it so I can't say for sure without hearing the song,
> but there are only so many chords to go around, and you can't patent or
> copyright those *yet* I hope. Without having written a song I'm in no
> position to say of course...

I listened to both version but didn't read much of the thread.  I thought it
was _meant_ to be based on the song from the wedding singer.

> The Barenaked Ladies nailed it with their song "It's all been done":
>
> "And if I put my fingers here, and if I say
> "I love you dear,"
> And if I play the same three chords,
> will you just yawn and say
> It's all been done before?"

Yeah, but that's just a spin on McCartney's "Silly Love Songs" ;)
--
g. matthew rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>           starnix, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20