Open Source song - "Write Code With You"

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 3 20:12:59 UTC 2006

--- Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Ok, a couple points here:
>
> #1 - I agree with you wholeheartedly.  Unfortunately
> the Canadian
> Legal System may not.
> #2 - The Barenaked Ladies have at least one
> connection to/at/with
> Digital Copyright Canada and is part of the reason
> that I've relied on
> their guidance for as long as I have.
>
> I'd say that's a doubleplusgood reason to play
> things safe and by the
> book.  At least until reality hits the GoC in the
> head.

Ok, so play by the book, just use a very old play
book. Take a tune that is old enough to be in the
public domain and use that for your new lyrics. This
way if someone says "Hey, you ripped that tune off
mega-recording star X!" you will be able to reply with
something like "No, we both based the tune on a
traditional Scottish folk tune that was published in
1805, so the tune is in the public domain, and nobody
can legally touch me on that score!" :-) .

In other words put yourself in a position where yes,
your knowingly "ripping" off another (now long dead)
artist, but in a way where nobody can legally touch
you.

The Toronto Central Reference Library (Yonge near
Bloor) has a large printed music collection from the
19th and early 20th centuries that you might want to
look at....

Colin McGregor