Open Source song - "Write Code With You"

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 3 12:19:59 UTC 2006

On 8/2/06, Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Not that you shouldn't be law abiding, but what does it really matter if
> you guys came up with a song, around a couple of beers, had a laugh.
> Screw Adam Sandler, it's your friend's song. There's absolutely no
> reason to give an inch -- no one is being hurt, no profits infringed
> (which is by no means harmful to anyone *being*). If everyone just gave
> up and stopped making music because it sounded like something else we'd
> all be listening to Muzak and Brittany Spears since they both come from
> a can.
>
> I'd say leave it up and come what may. Just like with code, if you
> haven't seen the original but wrote function or library that did
> something similar to a patented piece of code, it isn't really
> infringing is it? Ask Andrew Tridgell and see what he thinks. While the
> same may not go for inspired works of art, it damn well should.
>
> Apparently you've pulled it so I can't say for sure without hearing the
> song, but there are only so many chords to go around, and you can't
> patent or copyright those *yet* I hope. Without having written a song
> I'm in no position to say of course...
>
> The Barenaked Ladies nailed it with their song "It's all been done":
>
> "And if I put my fingers here, and if I say
> "I love you dear,"
> And if I play the same three chords,
> will you just yawn and say
> It's all been done before?"

Ok, a couple points here:

#1 - I agree with you wholeheartedly.  Unfortunately the Canadian
Legal System may not.
#2 - The Barenaked Ladies have at least one connection to/at/with
Digital Copyright Canada and is part of the reason that I've relied on
their guidance for as long as I have.

I'd say that's a doubleplusgood reason to play things safe and by the
book.  At least until reality hits the GoC in the head.

--
Scott Elcomb
http://w3.avidus.ca/

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle,
stand like a rock."

  - Thomas Jefferson