Open Source song - "Write Code With You"

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 2 21:36:22 UTC 2006

Scott Elcomb wrote:
> On 8/2/06, Tom Watts <wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> > I'll pull up the gmane thread and see what the folks at Digital
>> > Copyright Canada think.  If there's a conflict, then I suppose we can
>> > take the files down and hopefully rework the music.
>> >
>> > Murphy hates me.  I swear it.  >:(
>> >

>> lol, sorry, I didn't mean to wear the hat of captain bringdown, but I
>> think it's fine; I once heard a Christmas song on the Maccast podcast
>> from the podsafe music network which was essentially a song I knew but
>> with different lyrics.  If that's possible, I think this would be this
>> is fine.
>
> Heh.  Actually, I appreciate the heads up - much better to know than not.
>
> A response came in from the DCC list that suggests it is not "Fair
> Dealing," so I've removed access to the recording on our BBS.  That
> email also suggests seeking Mr Sandler out, and seeing if he might be
> interested.
>
> Not sure how or where to start (other than the web) but if he's
> interested, it'd make one helluva story.
>
> Live and learn I guess.  Thanks again.

Not that you shouldn't be law abiding, but what does it really matter if
you guys came up with a song, around a couple of beers, had a laugh.
Screw Adam Sandler, it's your friend's song. There's absolutely no
reason to give an inch -- no one is being hurt, no profits infringed
(which is by no means harmful to anyone *being*). If everyone just gave
up and stopped making music because it sounded like something else we'd
all be listening to Muzak and Brittany Spears since they both come from
a can.

I'd say leave it up and come what may. Just like with code, if you
haven't seen the original but wrote function or library that did
something similar to a patented piece of code, it isn't really
infringing is it? Ask Andrew Tridgell and see what he thinks. While the
same may not go for inspired works of art, it damn well should.

Apparently you've pulled it so I can't say for sure without hearing the
song, but there are only so many chords to go around, and you can't
patent or copyright those *yet* I hope. Without having written a song
I'm in no position to say of course...

The Barenaked Ladies nailed it with their song "It's all been done":

"And if I put my fingers here, and if I say
"I love you dear,"
And if I play the same three chords,
will you just yawn and say
It's all been done before?"