Open port

Kihara Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 28 06:19:42 UTC 2006

Hi,
 Portmap is a Sun contribution to Unix, which in my opinion was unnecessary.
The idea behind it was to minimize port usage. Unfortunately, only NIS and
NFS use it. So, if you happen to be using any one of those services, you
essentially use two ports instead of one. If you are running both of them,
you would be using three ports. Ironically, this was the situation portmap
was supposed to avoid.
 Portmap probably would have been beneficial if it was widely adopted.
However, politics i.e, why do we need to use Sun's technology - ensured it
remained irrelevant until the end of the world.

William