Open port

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 28 19:22:08 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 05:02:04PM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> The machine is behind a firewall, which is why I wasn't too worried, but
> thank you.  I am not using NFS, so the culprit is portmap.  What does
> portmap do that I need?  Why is it installed by default?

Portmap is used by remote procedure call stuff, such as nfs, fam, etc.
/etc/rpc gives you an idea what things use portmap.

I have portmap running bound to 127.0.0.1 so it doesn't listen to
outside connections, but allows things that want it to still work
locally.  NFS is probably the most common user of portmap, but certainly
not the only one.

Len Sorensen