Open port

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 27 22:32:18 UTC 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:

> The machine is behind a firewall, which is why I wasn't too worried, but
> thank you.  I am not using NFS, so the culprit is portmap.  What does
> portmap do that I need?  Why is it installed by default?

Portmap is the 'mother' of all the rpc processes, i.e. nfsd, mountd,
statd etc. It coordinates them and the ports they use. Normal *nix
installations often use nfs and rpc (sort of rsh) and that's the rpc's
main function. If you do not use nfs turn it off in all runlevels or
from your admin tool.

Peter