Firewall for my laptop

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 9 14:07:17 UTC 2006

I decided that it would be a good idea to internally firewall my
laptop. At any given time, I may be connected to the Internet using
ethernet, wireless or dialup-ppp. Ideally, I would like to have
access to anything from the machine and no access to the machine from
the outside. Since the requirements are simple, I decided to use
iptables directly. IP forwarding is turned off.

Here is what I came up with (the output is from iptables-save):

# Generated by iptables-save v1.3.4 on Thu Apr  6 17:18:20 2006
*filter
:INPUT DROP [827:74998]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [131:10381]
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
COMMIT
# Completed on Thu Apr  6 17:18:20 2006

Assuming that the proper iptables state handling modules have been
loaded for the protocols that I run, is this sufficient to accomplish
my goal and are there any problems?

Thanks,
Scott A.

--