Turning off blank screen on IBM laptop?

Alex Maynard amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 9 20:49:35 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I'm using my linux IBM T21 laptop (running a libranet install of Debian)
for presentations and have the problem that my screen goes blank after
a few minutes of inactivity.

So far, I have tried a couple of things to turn off the screen saver, but
none have worked. These include:

1. xset -dpms
xset s off

2. turning off the blank screen settings in the Genome windows
manager under: Applications/destop preferences/advanced
screen saver

3. Adding the following options into: /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Option "BlankTime"  "60"
Option "StandbyTime"  "70"
Option "SuspendTime"  "80"
Option "OffTime"  "90"

So far none of these have worked for me. I am wondering if any one has any
suggestions or experience with this?

Alex