non-interactive XML editor

Marc Lijour marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 4 03:25:54 UTC 2006

On April 3, 2006 11:08 pm, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping someone here has worked with XML enough to give me some hints on
> a good tool to use.  I need to generate some XML out of text files, I would
> be quite happy to use a command line tool like this:
>
>    xmldohicky -d person.dtd -o mytarget.xml user.name=bob
>
> I would expect (perhaps I expect too much of XML) that such a tool would
> recognize that I wish to build a document of type person and that user.name
> actually means insert a <name> section with value bob into the <user>
> section and create the <user> section if it doesn't exist ... I suppose
> it's called a node, right?
>
> I'm not against using perl/ruby/whatever, I just expect there must be a
> simple command line tool like I'm suggesting ... if only I could find it.

As an IDE I would recommand oxygenXML which is just awesome. But it does not
answer your question (and it is not free, just awesome!).

I see one problem in your situation, how is xmldohicky  going to guess the
format of the text files? If the format was fixed, for example XML (to take
the problem the other way around) it would be extremely easy to generate
whatever output format you wish by using XSL Transformation (xsltproc is your
tool, it comes in libxslt-xsltproc).

If your input format is known, say it is CSV, you may find prebuilt scripts on
the internet for that.