non-interactive XML editor

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 4 03:08:20 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here has worked with XML enough to give me some hints on
a good tool to use.  I need to generate some XML out of text files, I would
be quite happy to use a command line tool like this:

   xmldohicky -d person.dtd -o mytarget.xml user.name=bob

I would expect (perhaps I expect too much of XML) that such a tool would
recognize that I wish to build a document of type person and that user.name
actually means insert a <name> section with value bob into the <user>
section and create the <user> section if it doesn't exist ... I suppose
it's called a node, right?

I'm not against using perl/ruby/whatever, I just expect there must be a
simple command line tool like I'm suggesting ... if only I could find it.