Debian testing dist-upgrade?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 12 22:02:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 05:54:16PM -0400, Marcus Brubaker wrote:
> XFree86 is a dying project as far as I know.  There has been a fairly
> wide level of acceptance of the new Xorg server among  developers and
> distros.  I've been using the Xorg server on FC3 without any incident
> and the future looks quite bright for the project.  My impressions are
> that Xorg is the future and frankly, I'm surprised it's taken this long
> for debian to make the switch.

Getting xfree86 to compile and work on 15 architectures is a lot of
work.  They had 4.3 working, so that's what they released with.  No
other distribution has ever attempted that.  The xfree86 developers
never did care about anything other than the architecture they
themselves used.

Now that Sarge is out and released, they really started work on getting
x.org to work on all the architectures and getting all their patches to
apply for that.  It seems to have finally made it.

Lennart Sorensen