Debian testing dist-upgrade?

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 12 21:54:16 UTC 2005

William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:

>This is slightly Debian-specific, but I have just come back from two
>weeks away and I find that an "apt-get dist-upgrade" calls for a huge
>number of changes.  I have never had the slightest trouble before, but
>one of the changes appears to be the adoption of xorg.
>x-window-system-core is being kept back, and I feel unsettled about this
>migration.
>
>Has anyone else done this?  Have you had trouble?  Is this migration
>(from XFree86 to Xorg) a good thing?  Enquiring minds want to know :-)

XFree86 is a dying project as far as I know.  There has been a fairly
wide level of acceptance of the new Xorg server among  developers and
distros.  I've been using the Xorg server on FC3 without any incident
and the future looks quite bright for the project.  My impressions are
that Xorg is the future and frankly, I'm surprised it's taken this long
for debian to make the switch.

Regards,
Marcus