Debian testing dist-upgrade?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 12 22:00:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 05:44:21PM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> This is slightly Debian-specific, but I have just come back from two
> weeks away and I find that an "apt-get dist-upgrade" calls for a huge
> number of changes.  I have never had the slightest trouble before, but
> one of the changes appears to be the adoption of xorg.
> x-window-system-core is being kept back, and I feel unsettled about this
> migration.
>
> Has anyone else done this?  Have you had trouble?  Is this migration
> (from XFree86 to Xorg) a good thing?  Enquiring minds want to know :-)

Given the slow progress of xfree86 developers (for many years), and that
xfree86's new license policy makes it non-free and possibly even non
distributable at all, x.org is a good thing.  It has more features, is
more up to date, has nice quick responsive development and is sticking
to using a free license for code.

I didn't see much trouble transitioning to x.org and all the new C++
abi2 (all the *c2 packages).  It has taken a few weeks to really finish
clearing but it's almost done (I only have 3 packages left waiting for
something to transition or be recompiled).

Lennart Sorensen