The History of the World. Part 2

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 27 15:21:27 UTC 2005

On 10/27/05, Stewart Sinclair <stewsinc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> This is a little off the standard talk for this list but when someone
> ventures into the political area they're fair game.

I would agree.  And this topic is more than a little off-topic for me.

> "Fighting Might with Right" has been the classic habit of what I would
> call the broad democratic opposition.  It's results have not been good.
> It is well to remember that the US won the war against Japan because,
> among other things it had 2x the population, 10 times the industrial
> capacity, vastly greater natural resources and above all far more
> engineers and mechanics.  They also planned for that war and it's
> initiation.  Surely you're aware that Pearl Habour, Clark Field (in
> Manila) etc. was a setup.

The point was not why the wars happened, only that they did, and that
as people, we learned some valuable lessons.

My intent is simply to re-awaken a sense of honour in what we do, just
by talking to one another.  The simple act of sharing is profound.

> The real task is to devise a strategy that will AQUIRE the necessary
> might for might.

I am grappling with a layman's vision of complexity theory.  Netizens
are demonstrating emergent behaviour.  I think we have already
acquired the necessary might, the necessary momentum.  What I think we
are missing is vision, and strong, focused, and long-term leadership.

Do I believe I can change the world.  Most assuredly, no I do not.

Do I believe that *we* can?  Yes.  I certainly do.

When I first joined this list, little over a year ago, I asked a
question along the lines of "What is the status of Open Source in
Canada."

In a response to that question (or one shortly thereafter), someone
also let me know that the list is, effectively, self-managed.  This is
an example of where I see "emergent behaviour" in a complex system.

The responses I got, and continue to get, lead me down a path of
self-discovery I will never be able to forget.

--
Scott Elcomb
Fight might with Right.  Your Right.

2375+ Canadians oppose Bill C-60