OT: Mugs it is; ideas for a catchy phrase?

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 27 00:24:50 UTC 2005

On 10/26/05, Stewart C. Russell <scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Madison Kelly wrote:
> >
> > Anyone else? I think Alex is on to something.
>
> Don't forget that a backup is worth nothing; it's the *restore* that
> people rely on. Coffee's a good restorative ('less you drink decaf,
> urkh), so you could work on that ...

Quite right -- and I'm sure we've all heard the customer service story where
the support person determines some crucial files need to be restored from
backup ..

Service Tech: OK, we'll need to get the backup tape and put it in the drive
..
Worried Customer: OK, I know I have it around here somewhere .. oh, here it
is
ST: OK, put it into the drive, and we'll have those files restored pronto
WC: Just a minute, it's a bit tricky to unwrap the plastic ..
ST: Unwrap the .. oh. Never mind.
WC: OK, the tape's in the drive. Now what?

An automated backup system would be a lifesaver, especially for the folks
that don't really get the difference between full and incremental backups.

Alex