Linux World / Network World 2006

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 26 01:00:14 UTC 2005

William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> writes:
> > Simple. People should not use the TLUG booth as a vehicle to advance
> > their own commercial interests.
>
> Such simplistic statement betrays lack of experience and ignorance of
> reality.

Reality is that two years ago 'someone' from RWL almost booted out CLUE and
TLUG permanently (it was a shared booth, I believe) because there was nothing
but personal business cards (and some other businesses) and an abundance of
people milling around and impeding traffic flow for the rest of the aisle.

For a booth that was supposed to be about advocacy and community, that
message was lost and what occurred appeared to be a gross abuse of free floor
space.

It's good thing for GTALUG that Bruce is a forgiving and generous man.

> 1.  Tradeshow is about business.  People come to the show to do business
>     (both visitors and exhibitors).  It would be helpful if everyone
>     here reflect on that reality.

And TLUG is about community (or should be).  Can we also reflect on that?

> 2.  Furthermore, it would be helpful if everyone recognizes that GTALUG
>     has evolved and grown.  We are still a gathering of Linux guys.  We
>     will get together to talk about Linux hardware/software, with or
>     without GTALUG.  But, GTALUG (formal entity) will pursue business
>     opportunities, not as retail operation (which seems to be what has
>     got everyone's panties up in knot), but as advocacy and education
>     group.

I'm sorry but I disagree.  I think that part that is bunching up most panties
around here is that no one outside of the GTALUG board seems to know what
GTALUG is.  And after repeated requests from many people, no information has
really been forthcoming.

GTALUG didn't evolve.  It incorporated and presumed to envelop the original
TLUG.  Was there ever anything formal on this move for the 1000+ people that
comprised the original TLUG to discuss?

I consider myself a member of TLUG but I never paid any membership fees to
GTALUG.  Am I a TLUG member?  I don't see how I can be if TLUG==GTALUG.

Will the real TLUG please stand up, please stand up...

Regards,
--
g. matthew rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>           starnix, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20