Linux World / Network World 2006

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 25 19:47:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 11:05:22PM -0400, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> On October 23, 2005 18:01, William Park wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 01:45:54AM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> > > I will gladly offer any possible assistance as mediator between
> > > TLUG and Plum if that will help. Alternately, put the contentious
> > > contract details out on this list and see if the rest of us share
> > > your concerns.
> >
> > Speaking for myself (and few others outside GTALUG), my problems
> > are 1. they want street address of TLUG members.
> >     2. they want no demoing of TLUG members' work or business.
> >
> > 1.  This is easy.  We have no street address to give out.  So, Plum
> > Com can take it or leave it.
>
> Not to mention that even if you had such information, it would quite
> likely be illegal under the Privacy Act to hand it over to another
> party without the express permission of the members.

Sharp eye!  Yes, it's illegal, and, I would think, not a good thing to
have in a legally binding contract.  But, it is good starting point for
"re-negotiation" (which is happening).

> >     I don't know how to resolve this one.
>
> Simple. People should not use the TLUG booth as a vehicle to advance
> their own commercial interests.

Such simplistic statement betrays lack of experience and ignorance of
reality.

1.  Tradeshow is about business.  People come to the show to do business
    (both visitors and exhibitors).  It would be helpful if everyone
    here reflect on that reality.

2.  Furthermore, it would be helpful if everyone recognizes that GTALUG
    has evolved and grown.  We are still a gathering of Linux guys.  We
    will get together to talk about Linux hardware/software, with or
    without GTALUG.  But, GTALUG (formal entity) will pursue business
    opportunities, not as retail operation (which seems to be what has
    got everyone's panties up in knot), but as advocacy and education
    group.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell