Linux World / Network World 2006

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 26 01:10:46 UTC 2005

> > > 1.  This is easy.  We have no street address to give out.  So, Plum
> > > Com can take it or leave it.
> >
> > Not to mention that even if you had such information, it would quite
> > likely be illegal under the Privacy Act to hand it over to another
> > party without the express permission of the members.
>
> Sharp eye!  Yes, it's illegal, and, I would think, not a good thing to
> have in a legally binding contract.  But, it is good starting point for
> "re-negotiation" (which is happening).

This thread has certainly re-opened several cans of worms.
(Figuratively speaking)

In an effort to avoid more adding fuel to the fire, I'll keep most of
my thoughts safely here in my head, and just ask a question about
incorporations and a remark/question about privacy...

It is possible for an incorporated entity to *not* have a fixed
mailing address?  My (admittedly weak) knowledge of business tells me
that there has to be some address to and from which communications
with the powers-that-be (eg. gov't) take place, and that it would be
required for any "business-like" entity (for-/non-profit,
in-/corporated, etc).

I do not see how a members' privacy could be affected by providing a
mailing address in the negotiations between any "business-like" entity
(agg, what's the correct term?) and any other.  Giving the mailing
address for GTALUG (if we had one) to Plumcorp, for contractual
purposes, should not affect me as a member in any way.  Does it?  If
I'm missing something here, I'd really like to know.  (thx)

--
Scott Elcomb
Fight might with Right.  Your Right.

2375+ Canadians oppose Bill C-60