Linux World / Network World 2006

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 19 22:24:37 UTC 2005

--- "G. Matthew Rice" <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org (Lennart Sorensen)
> writes:
> > > Any event, Herb Richter was noting that he has
> wanted
> > > a "Which Linux Distribution Do You Choose
> When/Why?"
> >
> > To me that sounds like exactly the kind of topic
> you wouldn't want.  It
> > always turns into a huge distribution war when
> that topic comes up,
> > unless you don't allow any questions/opinions to
> be stated by the
> > audience.
>
> Make it a panel discussion with people having
> experience using many
> distros. Debian based, RPM based, 'single' purpose
> distros (like leaf),
> bootable distros like Knoppix and I think that you
> can have a well rounded
> discussion.

Agreed the choice of speaker(s)/panelist will be key
here. In my case on any given day at home I will be
running:

- Coyote Linux (fantastic router, rotten everything
else).
- Debian (good general purpose desktop, excellent
server).
- Knoppix (great for solving some problems).
- Fedora Core 4 (very good general purpose desktop).

> Make it a panel filled with RH/FC, SUSE, Mandriva
> and Debian 'enthusiasts'
> and, yeah, you'll get what you predict ;)
>
> PS - Go Debian!!!!

Debian has it's place, but would not be my pick for a
router (Coyote!), and if I had a box that was in
trouble I would not want to try to rescue the box with
Debian (Knoppix).