Microsoft trying to quash OpenDocument

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 2 17:26:05 UTC 2005

On 10/2/05, Rick Tomaschuk <rickl-ZACYGPecefkm4kRHVhTciCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Latest crap...Convicted monopolist (antitrust is supposed to be a
> felony) Microsoft which claims its "word"(tm - go figure) file format
> which it has changed over the last few years, is the best choice for
> Government, Banks, Legal Firms, Accounting Offices, and the rest of the
> business spectrum. It seems any attempt to unseat the spoiled brats will
> be met with severe opposition. I sure wish my daddy was a lawyer...like
> Bill's.
> http://www.linux.org/news/2005/09/30/0010.html

I haven't read the full article yet and I hardly an expert, but a
particular line caught my eye.

I've been following this Massachusetts story in papers and magazines
for a little bit now... this line just doesn't seem to follow:

"The policy promises to burden taxpayers with new costs and to disrupt
how state agencies interact with citizens, businesses and
organizations."

The whole point of what Mass. is doing is to reduce those costs by
using only open standards, isn't it?

--
- SGE