The Freespace Software Kit project

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 29 03:47:40 UTC 2005

Rob Sutherland wrote:

> I've been asked to work on a project and I was wondering if anyone can
> point me to anything
> similar, like, I don't know, maybe there are some Cyber-Hutterites out
> there. Here's the project description I put into sourceforge.

I don't think that all of it exists, but there is some interesting work
going on in CMS space in this regard. The 2004 Howard Dean presidential
campaign was conducted using a portal that has since grown into the
CivicSpace CMS project. This outgrowth of Drupal (that once was a fork
but has since been re-integrated) has developed a number of
community-development modules that you might find useful. The CivicSpace
components can be combined with some of Drupal's existing e-commerce
modules. You may also find some of the components in CivicCRM useful.

In any case, my own recommendation/wish would be that you look at an
existing CMS platform, identify the stuff you need done that doesn't
already exist, and start a project to make some CMS modules to do them.

As someone who could see myself using some of this kind of software in
the future, my selfish preference is to see it as Drupal modules rather
than starting from scratch. This has the benefit of an existing API, a
well-defined look-and-feel template, and already runs on a LAMP
(MySQL/PHP) platform.

- Evan