planning to go back into Linux, what distro do you recommend?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 11 19:05:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 05:09:17PM -0500, ted leslie wrote:
> I use a different criteron to pick the disro i use,
>
> I see it like a auto race. The distros are the cars entered in the race.
> Even assuming all the distros/cars are the same, they have different sponsors,
> or in linux-distro's case the distros sponsor other projects. As you might use
> a product sponsoring your favourite race car .. you could use the distro that sponsors
> your favourite projects!
>
> I use suse because they sponsor Mono, amongst other things.
>
> I think it makes for a healthier community if the distros (especially more commercial ones)
> sponsor things. In my case Suse sponsors things very important to me.

So if you are non commercial and have no money, you are a bad
distribution? :)

> Admitedly i am not to knowledgable about what distro sponsors what,
> i know redhat sponsors kudzu which is much appreciated,
> and Suse ... well i know those ...
> Debian i appreciate because of sharp zaraus support ...

Redhat owns cygwin I believe and I believe the team that maintains gcc
to a large extent.  Unless that has changed since.

> I think you have to "support" the distro that helps you!
> and thats MORE then just being a good distro.
>
> I guess if your new to Linux and don't "need" anything from any project, then
> its a crap shoot. Then again .. using the distro that give the most back to the community?
> thats a nice gesture.
>
> There should be a web-site set up (maybe is one) that show the sponsor/donations of distros.

Well Debian has for years been responsible for making xfree86 work on
anything other than x86 since the xfree86 maintainers didn't seem to
care about anything but x86.  Never did make Debian very fast at getting
new X versions, but when it did, they worked on everything.  Of course
noone cares about xfree86 anymore, and I am not sure how x.org is doing
for multiple architectures at this point.  Debian has done a lot of work
to make openoffice.org multiuser system friendly, rather than just about
needing a full install in each user account (which was almost how the
first versions worked).

Lennart Sorensen