Fanless processor for socket 370?

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Fri May 27 14:32:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Stewart C. Russell wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>>
>> ... then try to buy it at a reasonable price (hard).
>
> Not that difficult. Zalman gear is all over College St; I know of at
> least three stores that carry this locally. Be warned, they're
> absolutely huge, and might not fit in some cases.

I do not mean the low end Zalman gear. I mean the water cooler with the
external tower and from there up.

>> The easy way to reduce
>> noise is to use a much larger fan with auto speed control.
>
> But the bearings on the fan will fail eventually. The best way is not to
> waste energy in heat in the first place, but that's a hard solution.

Nice good quality fans run at 70-80% of rated rpm will last 10+ years
continuous (ball raced obviously, and not too small - 5-20W-ish). And
they can be very quiet. Using a dust filter and periodically cleaning it
will greatly increase the life of the fans.

Zalman has a complete enclosure that uses no fans. The enclosure sides
are radiators. Heat transfer is by heat pipes. It has an extra tiny
cooler for the VGA and a cage for the hdd. Go to their website to check
this out.

Peter