Fanless processor for socket 370?

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri May 27 10:45:01 UTC 2005

Peter wrote:

> ... then try to buy it at a reasonable price (hard).

Not that difficult. Zalman gear is all over College St; I know of at
least three stores that carry this locally. Be warned, they're
absolutely huge, and might not fit in some cases.

> The easy way to reduce
> noise is to use a much larger fan with auto speed control.

But the bearings on the fan will fail eventually. The best way is not to
waste energy in heat in the first place, but that's a hard solution.

A couple of manufacturers have caught onto the silent PC thing, so you
can now buy them off the shelf:

* Hush Technologies: <http://www.logicsupply.com/default.php/cPath/49>
* Industrial Flower Factory: <http://industrialflowerfactory.com/> (but
sadly, IFF aren't taking orders right now)

Both manufacturers command premium prices. I guess noise must be a
pollution that some people are willing to pay to avoid.

cheers,
 Stewart