Technical book store in GTA?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 26 16:05:23 UTC 2005

Henry Spencer wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2005, James Knott wrote:
>>>...Chapters computer selection was decent 4 years ago.
>>I have also noticed the Chapters' tech section has been dumbed down,
>>since Indego bought it.
>
> I don't think Indigo deserves *all* the blame for it.  Chapters' original
> selection of tech books was remarkable for a general bookstore, but in
> hindsight, it must have cost them a lot to have so much shelf space tied
> up with such specialized material.  I suspect they'd have had to cut back
> on it even if they'd stayed independent.

Prior to the takeover, I didn't shop at Indigo, as I found their
technical book section to be lacking.  When I heard that they were
buying Chapters, I worried that it would be dumbed down.  It wasn't long
after the buyout, that the technical book section in Chapters started
declining.  Also, according to an item in the news last year, Indigo
plans to go even further from books.  They want to turn into a gift
store (IIRC).  Sure sounds like dumbing down to me.  Also, at one time,
the World's Biggest Bookstore had an excellent technical section, but it
also has been reduced.  They are also owned by Indigo.  A city the size
of Toronto, should be able to support at least one bookstore (other than
at universities) that carry a good selection of techical books.  Go into
Chapters or WBB and try to find a pure computer science book. Try and
find anything on electrical engineering.  Even networking books by
Stevens or Black are becoming scarce.  When I was going to Ryerson, back
in the 80's, many of my texts were available at WBB.  Not now.