How do you start a blog/wiki?

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat May 21 01:33:25 UTC 2005

Rob Sutherland wrote:

> Of course, I forgot the main difference - blogs are used more for publishing,
> as one or a small group putting out most of the content, where wikis are used for
> collaboration and/or collecting and storing information from a larger group.

While that's mostly true, a good blog should allow user comments, which
sometimes turn into discussion. With wikis, anyone can create and edit
content -- like the helpful visitor from polymtl.ca who hosed the
Toronto Perl Mongers' wiki last year.

Setting up a blog is easy. I use WordPress <http://wordpress.org>;
written in PHP, talks to a MySQL backend (though I think it may be able
to do pg and sqlite now). While I've had the install time for a wiki
under two minutes, a blog generally requires a little more setup, but is
very easy to maintain.

cheers,
 Stewart