How do you start a blog/wiki?

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 21 01:21:26 UTC 2005

Rob Sutherland wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2005 20:20:05 -0400
> Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 06:24:54PM -0400, F. Duran wrote
>>
>>>I don't know if it will be any useful, but I had nothing better to
>>>do this weekend and I launched OpenSourceCanada.com (another wiki,
>>>the GTALUG looks great!) So yes, another empty web.
>>
>>  On a tangent to your post, how does one go about doing that?  I've got
>>a few computer-related things I want to spout off about, and a blog or
>>wiki might be the way to go.  Is there a fundamental difference between
>>blogs and wikis, or are they just different brand names?
>

> No, they're different, but they overlap a lot. A wiki just has
> pages and the tools to create, edit and admin them. A lot of them use regular files,
>  some use databases to hold the text, but basically it's a collection of pages,
> any structure you have to create yourself. A blog is far more complicated with lots and
> lots of specialized tools and data structures to take care of articles, users, RSS feeds,
> ads/banners etc.

Rather not.

Both, wiki and blogs can be either very easy or simple, for admin and
user, I would say.

I would rather believe that wikis might be more complex, since they are
about giving user the control over their web pages. While blogs are
mostly about giving the control over texts authors post from time to time.

No, it doesnt go that way. Some wikis are simpler than some blogs. Some
blogs are simpler that some wikis ;) Depands how all that was programmed
and for what.

I am a web developer, confused at the same time as well. I am also a
server administrator. I have my own approach to this: if I can easiely
dispatch a program for others, i.e. install it on the server, the
program is good for me. Neither wikis nor blogs are really good. They
are a bit too complex both for me and for ordinary users to manage them.
Of course I could spend a few hours on installing a new toy on the
server. If however nobody pays me for that why should I bother? I would
prefer rather to develop my own applications, according to needs of
clients. I am sorry, in this case Open Source software does not help me
much.

In short, both are yet in their childhood age.

zb.

--
Zbigniew Koziol, SoftQuake^(tm) Open Source Business Solutions
Web Development, Linux, Web Mail Fax Voice Servers, Networking