Hardware security in PCs to accompany new Windows

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Fri May 20 05:49:14 UTC 2005

> Microsoft I am sure could line up hardware vendors very fast. The only
> question is the marketing campaign, do they stress the anti-virus, the
> security, the better "value" (lower virus inspired support costs...) or do
> they stress something else...

I am not sure what they could line up. Nobody is blind and their os
license is the single largest item on the price list of a consumer/small
server system, it is more expensive than many 3.2GHz cpus, and as
silicon costs fall it will soon exceed them, with its spiraling cost.
Usually when manufacturers look for ways to increase sales by reducing
price they look at items listed in that order (by cost) and attack the
highest item on the list that can be attacked. Sometimes this means
outsourcing or labor cuts.

I expect parties interested in the bottom line to react on this.

Peter