Hardware security in PCs to accompany new Windows

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 20 01:24:27 UTC 2005

"Joseph Kubik" <josephkubik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> on Thursday, May 19, 2005 3:59 PM
wrote:

>The MAJOR issue for MS is that they can't do anything to piss everyone
>off at once. If they upset the hardware vendors and the app vendors in
>one move, then it just forces more people to use linux.
>If they can come up with a way to help the hardware people "sell more
>hardware" then they can really screw the rest of us bigtime.

How about this as a possible scenario, Microsoft goes to the hardware
vendors and says something like, "Our Windows 2008 will be a CPU, memory and
hard disk sucking PIG that would eat current generation machines for
breakfast (assuming current generation machines could run our software). Now
if you want to sell computers into that market you will need to include the
following anti-terrorist/security spec...". Said spec. will of course
include some sort of patented goodie that will hurt the open source market
other proprietary software and it will encourage people to move from older
versions of Windows when the old hardware dies. Microsoft will licence said
goodie to the hardware vendors for pennies per unit, and the hardware will
also (at least in volume) only add pennies to the cost per machine. So, with
visions of massive volumes of new computers being sold the hardware vendors
will be VERY happy to go along with Microsoft's spec.. Ok so there is the
clause that (for any practical purpose) stops the hardware vendors from
making non-spec. hardware for the open source market, but in order to sell
into the Microsoft market that will be a small price to pay, right???

>In the meantime, I don't think that MS has enough of the hardware
>people in their pocket to force this sort of thing down our throats.
>-Joseph-

Microsoft I am sure could line up hardware vendors very fast. The only
question is the marketing campaign, do they stress the anti-virus, the
security, the better "value" (lower virus inspired support costs...) or do
they stress something else...

Colin McGregor